Thursday, December 9, 2010

They just might be orphans

Today Emma and James somehow went from the safety and warmth of my basement to outside. I didn't realize this until James came to get his gloves and a hat so he could pull Emma outside on the horse. I politely asked that Emma please come in a get some warm clothes on too. She managed to get a jacket over her arm, an oversized hat on her head, and gloves on her little fingers and off they went. I was in the middle of baking, but after I got the baby down for a nap I went out to check on them. What I found: a push tractor over by the mailbox, the horse abandoned on near the road in front of the house, and my two children about to head over to Grandpa Herb's house. I did let them go with stipulations not to beg for a soda pop or be pests. When I saw his truck go down the street I went to check on them and found them playing on his back porch. Apparently they couldn't get him to answer the door so they just went to the back and started playing.

Instead of coming in the house, they shed their warm stuff and played. At one point Emma insisted on getting in the baby swing. Sad thing is, is that I didn't realize that she was still out there for a while when I looked at James and went, "Where's Emma?" "She's stuck in the swing outside. Yes, no coat, broken collar bone, and it was starting to rain. Poor thing's just sitting there waiting to be rescued.

My kids have found a whole new level of play. They acquired a rope and basket and have spent the last half hour loading it, and then lowering the basket with "treasures" up and down the landing to the entry. So cute and very entertaining. (They aren't even being mean to each other. Love it!)

I'm feeling really crummy tonight. Taking one look at me in my attempts to start dinner, measly pancakes, Cameron graciously offered to take care of dinner and is picking me up a pizza.

Thank you passersby for not calling the cops on me today while my children played unsupervised outside. Thank you kids for playing together. And thank you Cameron for just knowing.

3 comments:

Jared & Kat said...

Rotten days are the worst. Hope you are feeling better today! Love you!

Taylor Family said...

Sorry your day was not great. I had to laugh when you said you were glad nobody called the cops on you. I had the same thought when I came out of the shower to find Paige outside on the balcony in the snow with nothing on but her swimsuit and snow boots. I could have died. Makin' memories I guess. :)

Sheryl said...

That is quite the story. What a day...hooray to you for surviving (that is half the battle with kids). I'm sure the rest of December was much better...hugs to you!!