Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A little spring in my step

I love where I live. I can ride a 4-wheeler all over town, I have cows across the field, in the summer the crop duster flies directly over my house, I'm surrounded by fields, I live by wonderful people and in all, life is fairly uncomplicated. That being said, I really need to go "home". All month my mother kept telling me how green her grass was, and that her flowers were blooming, yadda, yadda, yadda...Well, I'm stuck in the middle of a mud hole of a yard, there's not the hint of a blossom anywhere, it's gray and lifeless. The worst is the little hints of spring. Nice weather for a few days. The kids playing in the back yard and family bike rides, and then like a slap in the face, it's snowing the next day. What?!

So I ran away.

I took my adorable children out of school and like a crazed person drove the little ones to some spring the night before it snowed yet again. Mind you, it was overcast most of the time, but it was still green and in the sixties. We were in heaven. We even got a hike down the Santa Clara river and let the kids play in the ice cold water. There Alice ate her first fistfuls of sand.

It was extra nice because Cameron was down there for work the first few days. I also got to hang out with my super hilarious niece Anastasia and her little brother (who is totally his dad, I thought I was playing with Vaughn all over again) and my Sister-in-law and her cute family. I totally scored in finding an awesome dresser next to the dump at some storage units, and my mom went dumpster-diving for me and retrieved a wagon that my dad promptly fixed the back axle on for me. We had to head back early Saturday because I had to sing in Stake Conference and we made it, just barely. You see, it takes some talent and being slightly illegal to take back all the hand-me-downs, a dresser, a rolled piece of carpet and a wagon. We only had to put down two seats, relocate Hannah to the front passenger, and (after fighting with Emma and only one mile) moving Alice to back by James (which required a great deal of unloading to accomplish) we were on our way. It was a much needed break from the blahs, and I think I might just make it until Easter now.

4 comments:

kalie said...

UGH! I know. This weather is such a tease! I need a little getaway like yours.

Staci said...

o man i wish i could get on a getaway and find some spring we keep gettin snow tooit blows im not ashamed to dumpster dive we have found a dresser and a super nice recliner love it:)

Aubrie said...

My sister does the same thing, she lives in Beaver (oh wait you already knew that since we randomly bumped into each other there!)

Liz said...

Man, I wish my mom lived in St. George. I think I would run away almost once a month. I am so sick of this cold!!
Glad you had a fun weekend.
liz