I've decided that I'm totally grateful to live in a small town. Where else can you live and get to be part of a round-up from dusk till dark. Here's the story.
Cameron and I decided to grab the kids and go for a little ride after his pack meeting tonight. It was a beautiful evening, and no mosquitoes! We put the older two in the back of the pick-up and went around town. On our way home we passed our friend who said there was a random calf wandering around town. He had to take care of his girls, so we told him we'd go help in the search. We tried helping the local cowboys with the pick-up truck, horse and rope, as well as the farm truck and went in search of the elusive calf. We had pretty much given up when we happened across the cow and shooed it back onto a dirt road. I jumped out of the truck while Cameron went to find our cowboy. Yeah, so it's me and a very big calf, more like a full grown cow walking up and down the road. You would have been really impressed with my cow shooing abilities if you'd been there. Actually, I was a little worried the thing was going to charge me any minute.
Long story short, and trust you would have been laughing if you'd been there, the cow ran away from the roping cowboy and headed for Cameron, who thought he was going to get squashed when it jumped over the barbed-wire fence and got it's hoof caught. They managed to rope it and free it's leg with a hammer and was doing pretty good at getting it to the waiting trailer when the cow did something weird and the saddle on the horse rotated to the side, upending the cowboy and letting the cow run away. It was dark by then, so I didn't see much, but they chased it around, and finally got it caught and put into the trailer. Really, I just wanted to laugh at how funny the whole situation was. Seriously, I was catching a cow, in the middle of my little town. You don't do that everyday in a city.
In closing, I love where I live. It's so peaceful, beautiful, and filled with wonderful people. I wouldn't trade it for anything. :)
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel terrible because part of this whole ordeal is my fault. As I was ready to go jogging, we noticed a cow coming out of Wayne Chisholm's feed lot. Our first thought was that it obviously was one of Wayne's cows because it came from that way. Once it was in Dick Cropper'a yard, we figured we needed to do something about it. So, I called the King's because I knew they probably knew who was in charge of Wayne's cows while he was out. As I was jogging, I watched the whole ordeal taking place and it was rather comical. There were so many people helping and so many involved. I'm glad to hear that you finally caught the thing. Good job.
Post a Comment