Thursday, October 7, 2010

you don't have to can to get to heaven

Because if you do, I'm in big trouble. Today I got domestic. I've been promising Cameron all summer that I was going to do a good job a preserving our garden and other things and I finally had to get on it, even if it took all week of inner coaching to suck it up and do it. Verdict: Well, lets just say it's not going to be my profession.

Don't get me wrong. I have fond memories of canning peaches, applesauce, pears and even pomegranate jelly and salsa when I was a kid and loving the time I spent with my family doing it. The whole kitchen table would be covered with the produce and most of the cabinets as well, and the floor would have a layer of stickiness that would make anyone crazy, but I specifically remember having fun. Today was not my cup of tea. The problem lies in the fact that I've never done spaghetti sauce or pie filling and really didn't know what I'd gotten myself into. It really wasn't too bad, it was just juggling four children, putting dinner on the table, and trying to break of fights with said children while covered with peach juice. Cameron graciously came home and started peeling peaches with me and helping with the kids, but when things started coming to a head, things got a little stressful. Now the day is over and my goods are done processing on the back porch. Only one lid didn't seal on the pie filling, I only dropped one on the back step (yes, I actually got it cleaned up too), and there was only one that had the glass break and ruin the entire bottle. So far no casualties with the spaghetti sauce, but there's always tomorrow. The greatest casualty of the day was with my poor kiddos. I wasn't a very good mom. Actually, I was downright horrid, and that has me not wanting to can anytime soon. I want to kiss them and not just be frustrated. Get them yogurt and cook really awesome food. Oh, and read them a story without the desire to scream because I'm so wired.

So, thank goodness canning isn't a requirement for exaltation, because I'd never make it. Will I can again? yes. But I think I will plan a little better so that my most precious preserves get the tender loving care they deserve.

2 comments:

Tam said...

Nonie, will you please do me a favor and tell me next time you are canning? I would love to help you! Seriously. We'll have to do it together.

Kristy said...

It's much better doing it with someone else! I like to do it with Joey or a friend, but either late at night or on a weekend when my sisters have taken the kids to my parents or something. It's much better that way! That way then it's a great time to watch conference talks you maybe missed or old movies that you don't really have to pay 100% attention to because you know them by heart anyway :)