Monday, January 14, 2008

Here we go!

So, I was reading in this months "Ensign" about a family who moved into a new house and they couldn't find their cables for their satellite. At first it was a big pain, but after a few months they realized that they weren't missing anything, and were actually able to get a lot more done. I decided to take this to heart and have officially closed down my television, except the news when the kids are in bed. I was able to get a few more things done today, but I definitely need a few new books to read while I nurse Emma. I've spent a lot of time reading with my kids, singing songs and I finally got the shower curtain washed and replaced. I have a long way to go, but I think this will be good for us. I generally like the t.v. on for noise and I like the news, but Hannah was obsessed with it and all she wanted to do was watch cartoons. It took her a little while to figure out what to do with herself this morning, but somehow she has survived. ;) I'm excited for this new change, and I hope I can take advantage of the quiet times in our home.

On a different note. James sang for the first time today. I was singing primary songs with him and did "Sunbeam" when he just joined right in. Grandma Sherry from nursery will be so excited. He was even on pitch pretty good. I hope to keep him interested in singing, because he is dang cute when he sings.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

That is too funny, I read the same story and Kasey and I were talking about getting rid of our television too, but we are all gone during the day, so it's only on for few hours in the evening. I am not quite brave enough to actually do it yet. I TiVo too many shows and watch them after Jonathan is in bed. It's amazing though how much we actually do just sit and watch television without even really realizing it. Way to go!

Michelle said...

Way to go Nonie! I've thought about doing that myself, just never put in into motion. How's it been going? Is the T.V. still off most of the time?

Cameron and Nonie said...

Michelle, in answer to your last question, Hannah is four and James is two. And yes, the tv is off all day and well into the night, except for yesterday when I was way sick and very bored so I watched American Idol. My kids have become very creative in their activity choices, and Hannah wants friends over a lot more now. :) Try it sometime, but get a few books first so you won't get bored in your down time.